Product Revew: Maybelline The Falsies Mascara

I hate how easily persuable I am when it comes to makeup. As soon as someone mentions a product they like, especially Youtube gurus, I immediately want to run out and buy it! With that being said, I can't remember where I first saw this mascara reviewed, it was probably on Makeup Alley or someone's blog, all I know is I bought it the minute I spotted it at CVS.

What it is:

"Instant false glam in a tube
The Falsies Mascara delivers a false lash look; giving you a full set of voluminous, bold, fanned out lashes and the appearance of no gaps from any angle.
The Pro-Keratin and Fibre enriched formula is designed to deliver immediate results, distributing volume and visible intensity to your lashes. The patented ‘Spoon’ shaped brush helps fan lashes out.
The Falsies Mascara is designed to give the appearance of no gaps and spaces. In a wink lashes you didn’t even know you had look visibly thickened!"

Taken from the Maybelline UK website





So this is another edition to the original Volum' Express line. If you liked the original and the Colossal mascara, you'll probably be a big fan of this.


This mascara states that it gives you a "false lash effect" and fills in gaps to give you lashes that look thicker and fan out from every angle. Now I don't know about you guys, but I have the shortest, sparsest lashes so any mascara that promises to make them look like falsies is automatically sold in my book.


The new patented "spoon" brush is designed to grab hold of each lash and fill in the gaps.


One side is wide and flat, with bristles that taper out at the end. There's a band at the neck that makes the head flexible and bendy. Doesn't really seem to make a difference though.


From the side the head is thinner and the bristles are pretty much the same length.

I forgot to take a before picture so that you can see my bare lashes, but I'm sure you've all seen them by now, so here's a few shots of me with about 3-4 coats on top and about 1-2 coats on the bottom lashes.


My overall thoughts:

This mascara is getting a lot of hype and I can definitely see why. Although it doesn't create quite the dramatic effect that falsies do, it does a decent job of adding volume and length to my non existent lashes. The brush is actually really nice, it does a great job of grabbing hold of all my lashes at the roots and depositing the right amount of formula.  I use the wide flat side to deposit the first 2 coats,and then flip to the skinnier side to add another coat to sort of separate and define them.  I almost never apply mascara to my bottom lashes because it always ends up looking clumpy, however this mascara and brush are perfect for them! I don't know why but this brush works great at separating my bottom lashes and making them fan out.

As for the formula, it's kind of a weird texture. When I run my fingers across my lashes on the bottom they feel all fanned out and feathery, but when I run them across the top, my lashes feel kind of plasticy. Also, if I don't separate my lashes right away, they tend to get stuck together, not clumpy per se, just stuck together. It doesn't really seem like it fills in gaps as it claims, but it does add volume to the roots. I think this mascara would work great for those who already have decent lashes, and would definitely give them them the false lash effect. However, since mine are so puny, this mascara doesn't give them that effect, but it does make a difference.

Rating: 4/5

Pros: the brush works great, inexpensive, separates and defines, adds volume and length

Cons: weird texture, lashes can get stuck together, doesn't quite fill in gaps as it claims

Would I repurchase? Yes, that's a definite possibility :)

This mascara can be purchased at your local drugstore or mass retailer for approximately $6.00. I think it comes in 4 colors (Very Black, Blackest Black, Soft Black, and Brown?) and it also has a waterproof formula

4 comments:

s said...

I can def see the volume in those closeups! Do you have a pic from further away? I'm always curious to see how visible mascara is from a few feet away :)

Unknown said...

I love this mascara. I reviewed it months before and still still use :D I can see the volume up close on you :D

Angie | Pandaphilia.com said...

Ooh it looks great! I don't think I've seen this one before ... xD Now I'm being easily persuaded! ^__^ Oh the curses of blogosphere, eh? xD

Liana said...

@sophia: the only pics i have that are semi far away is the one with both eyes...the mascara is hard to see on me from far away because i wear a lot of eyeliner on the bottom, and my top lids are so hooded that they fold over my lashes :( but people with less prominent monolids would be able to see it i'm sure. give it a try! :)
@rainy days and lattes: yay, i'm glad you like it too!
@angie: it only came out recently, you can buy pretty much anywhere, drugstores or wal mart or target...haha i'm sooo easily persuable! damn blog reviews! :P

Post a Comment

Comments & Feedback = Good :)
Spam = Bad :(

top