Gel Liner Comparisons: Sonia Kashuk, MAC, and Maybelline

Wow, this post is long overdue, I planned on doing it months ago...I'm such a slacker. In any case, I'm finally getting around to it, so I hope you still enjoy it.

If you're anything like me, you have a hard time finding eyeliners that don't smudge, smear, or wear off. I myself am still on the hunt for the perfect pencil eyeliner, but in the meantime, I have been preferring gel liners. My skin seems to prefer their consistency over regular pencil liners, which I'm not really sure why, I don't have oily or dry lids....I don't even know if that really matters or not. Anyways, I know there are a lot of different brands of gel liners and I thought I would share 3 of the ones I've used and let you know what I think of them.

So here they are from left to right: Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Liner in Blackest Black, MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack, and Sonia Kashuk Dramatically Defining Long Wear Gel Liner in Ebony




Prices

Maybelline - $6.99
MAC - $14.00
Sonia Kashuk - $8.99

Packaging

All three liners come in solid glass jars, with the Sonia Kashuk one being frosted glass. The MAC one has a heavy twist on cap, while the other two are plastic screw on caps.

Availability

The Maybelline can pretty much be found at any drugstore. The Sonia Kashuk is only available at Target stores. MAC can be found at any beauty counter that carries MAC or the MAC stores.

Formulas

I've read that a lot of people think the MAC and the Maybelline liners were similar in formulas, and I definitely agree. They are both extremely smooth and glide on effortlessly, while providing lots of pigmentation. The Sonia Kashuk glided on pretty well, although not as well as the other two and doesn't seem to be as dark either. 


L to R: Maybellline, MAC, and Sonia

Using the right type of eyeliner brush will definitely make application a lot easier. While I don't want to tell you which brushes to use, find one that works well with your eye shape and that is comfortable enough for you to maneuver around your eyes.

Staying Power

Although these liners stay on better than pencils, they still do end up smudging a bit. Out of the three liners, the MAC stayed on the longest and smeared the least. The Sonia Kashuk liner tended to get kind of dry and flaky, while the Maybelline smudged underneath my eyes. The MAC smudges minimally, especially if you seal the liner with black eyeshadow, this helps it to last longer than by itself. 

Expiration in jars

I'm not sure how long gel liners can last, but they do tend to get dry after awhile. I don't even use the Sonia Kashuk anymore because it has gotten really dry and kind of flaky. The Maybelline and MAC ones are pretty good still, in fact the MAC one isn't dried up at all. If your eyeliner has dried up, try removing the top layer with a kleenex or cloth, that way you'll have a fresh new layer to work with.

Overall thoughts

Out of the three liners, I would definitely say the MAC is the best one; it smudges the least, glides on the easiest, and doesn't dry up. But if you can't afford it, the Maybelline works pretty much the same, just smears a bit more. The Sonia Kashuk one is okay, but if you can afford the other two, go with them instead.

What are some of your favorite gel liners? Please share!

12 comments:

Life of Temptation said...

I love this!I'm still using my MAC..but I heard BOBBIE Brown gel liners are reallyy goood too! YES im backand will probably start blogging more..Just playing around with the layout!=D glad you like it =p XOxoxo Cindy

s said...

The Maybelline looks the most pigmented in the pic.. I like it! And I didn't know Sonia Kashuk made one too! I use Bobbi Brown, which I hate (smudges terribly on every person), but I can't bring myself to throw it away, and I'm not going to buy a new one until I finish it.

I'm planning to get the Wet n Wild, which has gotten rave reviews and is prob most comparable to the MAC gel liner.

Daiana said...

this was a cool read! i still think all MAC products are the best, even though they are pricey. as for me, I don't use gel liners.. i stick to pencils even though yes, they do smudge a bit sometimes.

xoxo http://www.sweetfancytreat.com

♥ Jhoy ♥ said...

Hey liana thanks for stopping by! it's been a while I hope you are doing well! and great post I use the maybelline everyday. but maybe i'll get the mac when i can afford it =p hehe take care beautiful!

Anna Grostina said...

Oh some of my fave? From Sephora, I guess! I really like your last picture!


:)

Please go to my blog and check out this post about fireworks and comment! Pelase! Thank you!

colourful-inspiration.blogspot.com

steph said...

Wow, what a great review! I have Stila & MAC's gel liners & I haven't found the perfect brush (or application technique) to apply it. So right now I'm sticking with waterproof liner from Sephora - surprisingly good for the cost! :)

♥Bunny♥ said...

I use the MAC gel liner and its absolutely my fav. Wouldn't use any other type :)

kristy said...

i have the mac gel liner as well. but i find that it dries out on me and after awhile stops looking supple. i want to find something with a little more sheen to it. great post though!

thanks for following my blog btw!

<3
Vogue Gone Rogue

Angie | Pandaphilia.com said...

oo thanks for this review :D i would die without gel liners. i have been using elf studio but i will try out my wet n wild soon

michelle_ said...

woah i loved this review !!
i usually use the maybelline one, but i always fin that it keeps sliding off and i end up with racoon eyes by the end of the night (not cool..) not i actually use an eyeliner brush to line up my eyes.. and it works really well !! plus saves makeup money :D

GLISTERS AND BLISTERS (DOT) COM

noone said...

cool review. I'm obsessed with black eyeliners. hah for the price of mac one (2x more than maybelline) their quality better be twice as good!! :D

Liana said...

thanks girls for all your feedback, i like hearing what you guys thought and also what types of eyeliners you use :)

Post a Comment

Comments & Feedback = Good :)
Spam = Bad :(

top